To add a new user to your site, please do the following:
- Log into the backend of your site.
- Once logged in, look to the side navigation and go to Users > Add New.
- Fill in the required info (Username and Email) and any other fields you would like.
- Click on the Show password button.
- If you want to choose a password besides the auto-generated one, type a new password in the provided box. (Make sure password is strong based upon strength box)
- Make sure the Send User Notification checkbox is selected. (this way you can refer back to the email to get the password if you forget it in the future)
- Select the role you wish to give the user. See below to learn what the different roles mean.
- Click the Add New User button.
An administrator has full and complete ownership of a website, and can do absolutely everything. This person has complete power over posts/pages, comments, settings, themes, plugins, import, users – everything. Nothing is off-limits, including deleting everything.
An editor can view, edit, publish, and delete any posts/pages, moderate comments, manage categories, manage tags, manage links and upload files/images.
An author can edit, publish and delete their posts, as well as upload files/images.
A contributor can edit their posts but cannot publish them. When a contributor creates a post, it will need to be submitted to an administrator for review. Once a contributor’s post is approved by an administrator and published, however, it may no longer be edited by the contributor.
A contributor does not have the ability to upload files/images.
In your comment settings, if you’ve selected “Users must be registered and logged in to comment”, once they have created an account, they will be given subscriber role. Subscribers only have the ability to leave comments.